Friday, March 23, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup



I am not going to make any silly claims that this recipe is healthy for you because it's not. It's full of creamy goodness and nothing this good was ever intended to be healthy. It's not like heart attack in a bowl though so don't put it on the make once a year shelf. This soup is great for the fall months, winter and in between. I've made it....maybe I shouldn't admit how many times I've made it in the last six months. I'll keep that little tid bit to myself. Just know that it is by far my favorite soup.

I look forward to it so much each time I've made it that I have completely forgotten to take pictures of each step. It's like my mind goes on a one way track and all I think about is broccoli soup. When will it be done? Is it done yet? Can I have some of that creamy goodness now!

And one of the best parts about this recipe is it's relatively simple.

Here is what you'll need.

4 cups broccoli-chopped into small pieces
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk (I use 1%)
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon Garlic salt
2 tablespoon Butter
Half of a red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

* Rinse the broccoli, finely chop and let dry on a paper towel.

* Melt butter and add in your onions. Cook onions approximately 3-4 minutes or until opaque.

* Now it's time to make your roux. Grab your whisk and stir while slowly adding in a little bit of flour at a time.

* DO NOT add it all in at once or you will end up with clumps. Add in a little bit, stir, and when it's completely smooth and start to ruse add in a little bit more.

* Once you have mixed in all the flour it's time to add in the cream. Again only do a little bit at a time. But you have to be fast because as soon as the liquid touches the roux it will want to turn to putty. So start mixing before you've even added the cream and keep mixing until you've added all of the cream.

* Add in your milk.

* Dump all your broccoli in and give it a good stir

* And lastly add in all of your seasonings. Nutmeg, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, onion powder.. It may seem like you are using a lot of seasoning but don't worry. It won't be over powering at all. Since you're using small amount of each nothing will strike out at you and take you over in flavor. It will all blend perfectly together.

* Bring the soup to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

* Prior to adding in the cheese give it a good stir and a taste test. If needed add some salt and pepper to taste.

* Add cheese right before serving.


And there you have it, delicious broccoli cheese soup that is as addicting as it is melt in your mouth good.