Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Getting my family organized with AboutOne

I will be the first to admit that I am not the most organized person. My filing system is lackluster and I tend to loose things almost daily. But one thing I always bring with me every where is my phone. And the most important item on my phone would be my calendar. With three kids that will all be starting school in the fall as well as my husband attending the local University, keeping up with schedules is very high on my priority list.

One site that I have been using to help keep me organized with the coming fall is AboutOne. Setting up your account is very easy and not very time consuming. In my book that is a huge plus because there's nothing more frustrating then spending hours upon hours setting something up only to let it fall through the cracks over time.

This great online organizer offers many different ways for you to keep your family organized. Here are some of the selections offered:
  • Health Records
  • Education Records
  • Home Inventory List
  • Home Maintenance and Improvement Log
  • Vehicle Records
  • Family Address Book
  • Family Memories and Scrapbook
Learning how to how to get organized is new to me but something I am really enjoying with AboutOne. Adding contacts is super simple. You can add them individually or you can import them from Google, Facebook or from a file. And it's not just names and phones numbers, you can add birthdays, anniversaries, addresses, a link to a facebook profile and even to a twitter profile. You can also tag a contact as an emergency contact and you can separate your contacts into different groups such as family, friends, work, etc. If you're a visual person there is an option to add a persons photo to their contact information. It's genius I tell you!

Another great feature is that you can share certain things with people of your choosing. For example, you have a child with allergies and you have a new babysitter coming over to watch the kids. Instead of having to continually write out instructions in case of an emergency or what foods and/or activities to avoid you can quickly print out your babysitters instructions from the information you have saved in your profile.

Calendar and documents is currently being developed so not only will you be able to import important documents into your account but you will be able to sync your calendar as well. AboutOne has an app for Windows phones which can be downloaded for free here. And for those not using a Windows phone they are developing an app for both iPhone's and Android based phones which is scheduled to release later this year.

One of the many things I love about AboutOne is the security of the site. They have security that is higher then that of a bank security. What exactly does that mean? It means that not only do they use encryption but they also have auditing, logging, back-ups, and safe-guarding of data. Everything is monitored by three (YES three!) different companies. So you have literally no need to worry about your information getting into someone elses hands. I don't know about you but that is a big win in my book.

Here is a quick video about AboutOne in case you still have some questions.




"I was compensated by AboutOne to review their online organizer. All opinions and text are my own."