Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fish Tacos

I love fish tacos and my family does too. And after sharing I had some the other day I got a few requests for the recipe so I'm going to share my recipe that I came up with with you all.  This is more of a healtified version (no breading or deep frying involved) but it is still full of a lot of flavor. 

One thing I need to work on is getting some exact measurements, since I've only been making this recipe for a little over a year now I've never written it down or used any measuring tools. I just do it by eye so I'm going to lay out the ingredients for you all and you can do it by your preference. 
Also with the fish I buy the packed mahi mahi from Trader Joe's and that will feed my family of five (2 adults & 3 young'ins) if you are serving mainly adults I suggest getting two packages of fish. 


Mahi Mahi
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Cumin
1-2 tbsp. Olive oil
Light Sour Cream
Lime
Salsa Verde (I used trader joe's salsa verde)
Corn Tortillas (if you can find fresh home made one's they are so much better)
Cabbage
Onions
Avocado chopped or thinly sliced 


I start the sauce for the tacos first so it can blend all the flavors together. Mix 1 cup of sour cream to 1/2-3/4 cup of salsa. Add in some lime juice and cayenne pepper to taste. Stick in the fridge until later.

Season the fish with the dry seasonings and then cook in the olive oil. Cook fish until flaky with a fork (about 10 minutes).

While your fish is cooking thinly slice up your cabbage and dice up some onions.

To prepare the tacos, warm up the corn tortillas, place on a piece of fish, squeeze some lime juice on the hot fish then pour on a spoonful of the salsa sauce, then put on the onions and then cabbage. Dig in.

If you aren't a fan of sour cream just use your favorite salsa. The avocado is optional, I've never tried it in my homemade fish tacos but as I was typing the recipe out it sounded really good.


I hope your family enjoys these as much as mine does <3