Monday, April 5, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese please!



I don't know about you, but to me there is no better comfort food then good ole Mac & Cheese. I'm not sure why I've never attempted to make it myself. I always see recipes and literally drool just looking at them. Guess I'm unconsciously trying to eat healthy. But this was my first time doing Easter dinner all by myself and not going anywhere so I said I'm going all out baby! So here we go!

Macaroni & Cheese
Makes 8-10 servings

6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and kept warm

Preheat oven for 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for approximately 5-6 minutes or until the onion is tender.


Add flour, stirring constantly and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Gradually add your milk, stir constantly and cook for approximately 5-6 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken.
Remove from heat and stir in your dry ingredients (dry mustard & salt). Now the best part! Stir in your cheeses. Stir until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is nice and smooth.
Add in your warm macaroni, stirring gently to combine all the ingredients.
Pour the ooey gooey mixture into your coated baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
Let stand for as long as you can resist digging in because you will burn your tongue! And trust me it hurts. I would say about 10 minutes would be good on cooling down.

I know my pictures are crappier then normal, I had to use my point and shoot since my Nikon is temporarily out of service :( But as you can see this macaroni came out perfect! It was a hit at dinner and all the left overs have already been eaten. I really enjoyed that although three strong cheese flavors were used the taste was very smooth and subtle. The Parmesan added a little bit of saltiness to each bite which is better then salting your macaroni, who does that! But there weren't any overpowering flavors to this dish. It is definitely a keeper!