Saturday, February 27, 2010

How safe are you really

The kids and I were sitting here in the living room, normal day and then I hear a helicopter blaze over us. Seriously this thing was booking it. So of course being the nosy person that I am I peek out the window and guess where the helicopter is???

The kids and I were sitting here in the living room, normal day and then I hear a helicopter blaze over us. Seriously this thing was booking it. So of course being the nosy person that I am I peek out the window and guess where the helicopter is???
In the next neighborhood over, about a half a mile away. It's been circling for over ten minutes. I know we don't live in the safest area of the world but it still bothers me that there is crime practically in our back yard. This is not the first time I have seen a police helicopter circling over that specific area. There is a huge apartment complex there and it has a reputation on not having the best tenants there. I heard there was a shooting there last year. What makes me really nervous is my sister informed me the other day that in the neighboring city there is a child molester on the run. Again I know the world isn't perfect and there are horrible people out there but I don't want them ANYWHERE near my family.
I am a worry wart, sometimes I wish I could take all the people close to me and go live in a perfect little bubble. Kind of like The Stepford Wives minus the robots LOL I just watched that movie so it's stuck in my head right now. I just hate to think about all the scary things out in the world that eventually my kids will some way or another have to experience. For example; I went to pick Jr up from school a while back and noticed two police cars as I was pulling up. One was leaving but the other was still there. Of course that worried me but no one at the school would talk. The next day we got a letter sent home from the Principal that there was a man talking to some of the students, young girls and tried to get one of them to get in his scary. SCARY!
I guess the whole point to this post is how do you prevent/protect/talk to your kids about this kind of stuff. Jr knows there are bad people who do bad things in this world but that's about as far as I've taken it with him. He knows not to talk to strangers and what to do if he gets lost. I know a lot of this is the worry wart in me but I get the reminders every time I see that helicopter fly by the house.

2 comments:

  1. You know, it sucks! My oldest is 11, almost 12. She wants to be able to run the neighborhood. I don't let her, which of course makes me the meanest mommy in the world. So you know what I did....I told her about a local girl that was SNATCHED GOING TO HER MAILBOX! She was taken, she was raped, she was drugged...I did not go into details of it all with her. You know what she said at the end of the conversation...."Well, I'm not that girl" I guess my point was not taken. BLAH!
    Yikes, you don't have comments set for name/url.... This is brandy from Not So Average Mama...thanks for visiting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully we live inside a condominium complex right now, it's mainly elderly people so it's nice and quiet and it's gated so that helps me feel a little safer but I still don't let the kids out without me. I remember growing up and being able to ride around on our bike through our culdesac and everything being all honkey dory. Ahh the good ole days lol
    Does blogger have an option to do that? I've looked and haven't found one :( And thank you for stopping by my blog :D

    ReplyDelete