Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Oklahoma tragedy and how to help



First let me say thank you to those that have messaged and called, we are okay. We are safe, our kiddos and our home are all safe. I still haven’t been able to fully process everything that happened yesterday. I personally have never experienced this kind of weather before, I am not from Oklahoma originally so I don't have the May 3, 1999 devastation to refer to like so many of the lifers out here. All I know is that this tragedy happened close to home. I had a few hours of panic when I couldn't get a hold of my one my close friends who resides in Moore with her family. I was finally able to get a hold of her and thank goodness she was one of the lucky ones. The tornado hit 1/2 mile from her. 

My heart absolutely breaks for the families affected by this disaster, especially for those parents who lost their children. I just cannot imagine what they are going through right now. I want to do something and I know I cannot go over there and help, not yet. They are asking that people stay out until given the okay that it is safe and to let the professionals do their thing. So until we are given the go ahead all I can do is pray and spread the word on how to help.

If you want to help the victims in Oklahoma (Moore and Shawnee) here are some ways you can.
  • Feed the Children: They have set up donations areas at some local news stations and are accepting  donations in the form of water, sports drinks, canned food, diapers and blankets.  
  • Samaritan's Purse:  Samaritan's Purse is on their way to the Moore and Shawnee area ready to help in any way they can. You can donate via their site and/or volunteer to help in the efforts. You can volunteer here.
  • The Salvation Army: You can donate online, text STORM to 80888 to donate $10 or you can call in a donation to 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
  • Red Cross: You can donate at Redcross.org call 1-800-RED CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation
  • Disaster Relief of Oklahoma: You can donate here or mail a donation to this address BGCO
    Attn: Disaster Relief, 3800 N. May Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73112 
  • Animal Resource Center: If you find any animals, you can take them to the Animal Resource Center at 7949 S. I-35 Service Road (405) 604-2892.
If you are in need of shelter here is a list of local shelters
  • University of Oklahoma – they released a statement earlier that they have opened up student housing in Norman for those seeking shelter
  • Oklahoma Baptist University – student housing (Shawnee)
  • Graceway Baptist Church, located at 1100 S.W. 104th in Oklahoma City.
  • Oakcrest Church of Christ at 1111 S.W. 89th Street in Moore.
  • Victory Church, located 4300 North MacArthur in Oklahoma City.
  • Journey Church in Norman I-35 and Tecumseh Road is open as a shelter.
  • Fifth Street Missionary Baptist Church, located at 801 N.E. 5th St. Oklahoma City.
  • St. Andrews Church, located at S.W. 119th and May.
  • Trinity Church of the Nazarene is open as an emergency shelter. It is located at 7301 S. Walker, just on the north side of I-240.

Friends of mine, Amy Bellgardt of Mom Spark and Kelby Carr of Type-A-Parent  posted a list of ways you can help the residents out here.  

If you have a family member in the area and cannot locate them please make sure to check the Red Cross Safe and Well site. You can check in for loved one's to know you're safe or you can search for your loved one's.

Please continue to send your thoughts, prayers and love to Oklahoma.